German submarine U. 118 on beach in Hastings
- London, Arthur, 1880-1920
- Creation Date:
- [circa 1910-early 1920s]
- Hastings (England)
- postcards, photographs, and photographic prints
Caption: German submarine, Hastings. April 13/19
- [Identification of Item], Arthur London / Gold Coast [Ghana] photograph collection. Bernath Mss 315. Department of Special Research Collections, UC Santa Barbara Library, University of California, Santa Barbara.
This German submarine was in service for one year, February 23, 1918-February 23 1919, when it was forced to surrender. The U.118 was being towed to France when it went aground off Hastings on April 15, 1919. The boat quickly attracted crowds near the Queens Hotel. In 1921, the ship was disassembled.
- Physical Description:
- 1 photograph : print ; 9 x 15 cm (postcard format)
- Still Image
- Arthur London / Gold Coast [Ghana] photograph collection
- Library Location:
- Department of Special Research Collections
- Local Identifier:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks (contact the department of Special Research Collections at the UC Santa Barbara Library for more information). Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.